Bishopsgate Station opened in 1840 as a passenger terminal providing a route into London from Ipswich, Norwich and Colchester. The station closed to passenger traffic in 1875 and reopened six years later as Bishopsgate Goodsyard, a freight station serving the eastern ports of England.
On December 5th 1964 a fire broke out at the station. The blaze was so intense that 40 fire engines and 235 firefighters were called. Despite their best efforts, two customs officers were killed, millions of pounds worth of goods were destroyed and the Goodsyard was rendered unusable. Over the next 40 years, the site became derelict and was made safe by a major demolition project in 2003-4.